The DSMC’s 15 members represent independent bandleaders covering a range of musical interests, from jazz and classical music to free improvisation and world music and all of the spaces in between. Members can present up to two shows each month and often use the space for teaching and rehearsing music springing from their own unique visions.
The individual members all help to pay rent for the space and share rehearsal/performance time at the collective. Because of this we currently do not rent the space to non-members.
Regular open sessions will bring together musicians from a variety of musical scenes in an expression of creativity, community and DIY that has always kept New York City at the forefront of the international creative music community.
How to Book a Show at DSMC
The DSMC does not accept booking requests sent to our general email address or through our contact form. Instead, contact one of DSMC’s members (listed below) and pitch a proposal. Offer to include the member by either asking them to play in your project or on the same bill with a specific band of theirs. Above all, be creative and take charge. DSMC offers a unique opportunity for musicians to present exactly the music they want to offer in exactly the way that they want.
- Any kind of music can be played at DSMC. If you want to play polkas, great. If you want to present Tuvan throat singing, go for it. The sky’s the limit.
- Musicians play for the door. We can ask for a suggested donation, but that’s it.
- The size of the audience is up to the musician (to a realistic extent). That is, the more people you tell, the more might show up. DSMC has a website and a myspace page. That’s all the advertising we offer. The rest is up to you.
- DSMC members only get two shows a month. If you see a member’s name listed twice within a given month, chances are they won’t be able to do anything else that month. So plan accordingly.
- We do have a backline. Currently it consists of:
- 1 baby grand piano (tuned regularly)
- 2 guitar amps
- 1 bass amp
- 1 drum kit
- 1 PA system (microphone not included)
- 14 music stands
- All of this equipment belongs to DSMC’s members. Please treat it respectfully
Matt Bauder, Dan Blake, Frank Carlberg, Matt Holman, Tanya Kalmanovitch, Noah Kaplan, Daniel Kelly, Aryeh Kobrinski, Matt Moran, Han-earl Park, Matt Plummer, Ziv Ravitz, Jorge Roeder, Jonah Rosenberg, Josh Sinton